A SECLUDED MONASTERY
In 1095, noblemen Alwik von Sulz, Adalbert von Zollern and Ruotmann von Neckarhausen endowed the new monastery. Its location in the middle of the Black Forest was secluded from the start. Then newly founded monastery was situated in a logging area, far from any primary transport routes. Connection to densely populated areas was only possible via the Kinzig and Little Kinzig rivers. The Hirsau reforms, promoting strict adherence to the Rule of St. Benedict, following the lead of Cluny Abbey, were the reason for this secluded location.